Great Law Program

February 2019 | FORMER STUDENT

The program fosters a collegial environment. Students are taught how to work together instead of simply fiercely competing with one another. A good amount of out-of-the-box classes if you want something other that just traditional lectures.

Indianapolis is the closest legal market, and expanding out into other markets for jobs can be difficult, although lately they have been making a big push into Chicago.

Comments

Great place to study if you're interested in a midwest public program with really bright students and professors.

Scam school

September 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

I liked some of the students I met there. Everyone of them was very polite.

The school clearly engages in racketeering by committing acts of fraud by manipulating its stats to make itself seem as a top tier school. They also engaged in racketeering by committing another act of fraud; they made the first semester of the first year super easy, in order to reel students in and deceive them into thinking law school would be easy. Every single semester afterwards, we were assigned an absolutely impossible amount of readings. Therefore, the only way for students to get good grades was to approach their professors and offer them money to raise their grades. Many students succeeded in doing this. This is the very definition of extortion; the professors were both the cause of, and the solution to, the source of students' problem.

Comments

Avoid it, unless you have money to pay professors for good grades. The place is a racket.

Teaching quality is generally very high, job may be difficult to find

April 2018 | CURRENT STUDENT

Most professors are pretty good, actually exceed my expectation. But like any other law school, we got young ones who are not very helpful but still got hired and rehired. . .

the director in charge of the judicial placement is not very helpful from my perspective and experience dealing with her. The door is always closed (appointments are always required), not very responsive to emails, and may judge you.

Comments

May be difficult to find a job given the current small town location.

I strongly believe that I am getting an exceptional academic experience. Across the board, my professors are phenomenal and inspirational people. Overall, they successfully present complex material in both a thought provoking and accessible way. The majority of my professors use heavy Socratic method, which I like because it motivates me to engage in the material. My fellow students are competitive. You must take every class seriously, because everyone else is taking the class very seriously and the classes are all graded on a curve. Like my professors, I think my fellow students are exceptional and inspirational.
The curriculum is standard. There is a focus on theoretical, survey course. Although there are clinics available, from my experience, the average student does not participate in them. Next year, the school is offering transactional legal writing and litigation legal writing courses which I am taking in order to get more practical experience.
The school is also very focused on making their innovative 1L legal professions course work. I think it still needs work, but I can see the value in it.

Bloomington Indiana is a fantastic place to live. It is an exceptional example of a college town, with tons of great restaurants, bars, and low living costs.
The law school and library are amazing facilities. The law library attached to the law school is a beautiful six-story building with 3 story windows looking out on the on-campus forest. The IU-Bloomington campus is absolutely stunning and lively, in general. In general, the IU campus is a great place to study the law.

IU is very liberal about giving prospective students admissions waivers. Also, the school has a rolling admissions policy and continues to accept students until the start of classes in the fall. Other than that, the admissions process was fairly traditional, e.g., registration through LSAC/LSDAS is required, one relatively short personal statement is required, standard application form can be filled out either electronically or in paper form, etc.
I was admitted off the waitlist in early April, even though I did not express interest in remaining on the list. I am very glad that they personally called me about my continuing interest in the school. I think this is a good policy.

The faculty is both a teaching and a researching/publishing faculty. The community is a cooperative one -- resembling much more a small liberal-arts college than a "cutthroat" professional school (which describes many other law schools).

The law school is in a wonderful limestone building at the corner of the larger university campus, walking distance from the administrative and social centers of campus and bordering the vibrant downtown area of Bloomington. Fine restaurants, bars, and coffee houses are accessible within two blocks of the school. Most students live off campus, but many of them near the law school. The students -- despite the external economic challenges of recent years -- are a happy lot.

I don't think there was or is anything particularly unique about the admissions process, except that in recent years, we have made personal interviews of applicants prior to admission more and more common.

IUB has an excellent first-year curriculum. The focus of classroom discussion is an adequate balance between legal theory and practical study. The professors engage the students using the Socratic method. The career and professional development staff is exceptional. They work hard to make sure all students are on track to find summer employment and volunteer opportunities. The A grades are reserved for a few high performing individuals.

Housing is reasonably priced. Bloomington is home to the most ethnically diverse restaurants per capita in the nation. The campus is beautiful with limestone architecture.

Standard process.

Small classes; low faculty to student ratio; eccellent faculty; excellent clinic experience

Great quality of life and cultural Mecca

LSAT; Acum; essay; interview;

Teachers are very knowledgeable and accessible, a quality you don't see too much of in top 25 law schools. The Socratic method employed in the classes make students stay on top of their readings. Some professors lean heavily towards theory and some towards practicality. So far there has been a good balance of such leaning by professors with all of them being highly effective. Albeit competitive, the social atmosphere eradicates some of those competitive vibes.

The faculty at my school far surpassed my expectations. There was some strictly socratic teaching, but most of the time it was supplemented with practical lessons and unbiased comments about the law. Teachers seem less concerned about "hiding the ball," and more concerned about reaching as many of the really dedicated students as possible. Workload is intense, but not unreasonable. "Notable faculty?" One of my professors authored the district court opinion in Roe v. Wade. At least one other was appointed for an upper echelon executive position this past year. Professors here have helped write a constitution for a third-world country, and another has helped established a "right to overnight shelter," lasting at least a few years, in Washington D.C. Almost all are leading researchers in their fields of study, and attended or previously taught at top ten law schools.

Bloomington is a classic college town. Students can find quiet when they want, and celebrations when they want. Crime is basically non-existent in the town. Rent is a bit high, and parking is a pain. The law school itself serves its function well. Every student has his or her own locker, and access to a study carrel in the library. The library is an artfully crafted four-story building with plenty of space and all the resources one can ask for. The library staff is also extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

The admissions staff is very convincing, but genuine and candid. The admissions process is pretty standard for top 100 law schools: admittance and scholarship offers are based mostly on LSAT and undergraduate GPA, from what I've gathered. However, I received a personalized note from the dean of admissions commenting on my background and experience, something that not many other schools did. Scholarship retention is contingent only on good academic standing. That is, I would not lose my scholarship unless put on academic probation (2.3 gpa). There is no seat deposit for accepting the admission offer.

The outstanding first year ethics program permits a discussion of ethics and life styles associated with various types of law practice. This discussion begins in the first year of study when informed decisions can be made by students. This new first year ethics class also introduces the students to practicing lawyers. This give students exposure for understanding what it means to practice law in various settings as well as introducing the students to the law market early so that employment possibilities can be explored.

The law school library faces a virgin timber forest with floor to ceiling windows. You have the feeling of studying in that forest.....truly nice with both short and lengthy study sessions.
Bloomington is the true college town. When time permits, you can enjoy the atmosphere of a truly beautiful campus and a quaint college town.

Personal interviews for applicants that may meet one criteria, but are borderline on the other in order to select the most likely to succeed from the outstanding group of students who are borderline.