Cadwalader has long been a place for talented associates to launch their careers. The firm offers early hands-on experience, access to elite clients, and endless career paths within and beyond the firm. Associates appreciate the friendly, social culture and the mentoring opportunities gained while working at the firm.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
As the oldest Wall Street firm, Cadwalader has spent the last 230 years working with top-of-the-line clients on complex legal and business issues. Associates come from a diverse array of law schools and have good grades and a personality that will fit with the firm. Lateral associates are quickly integrated into the firm and feel a part of the Cadwalader community. The firm is social, friendly, and open, and associates are supportive of one another at work. Partners are down to earth and eager to take the time to train junior associates and discuss the firm’s performance and future plans. Cadwalader truly values the development of associates, and mentorship relationships develop both formally and informally. The path to partnership is realistic for those who want it, and outside o...
A career at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP is truly an opportunity to “make history”—to become part of the legacy of the U.S.’s oldest Wall Street law firm, with more than 230 years of legal experience and innovation benefiting our clients.
Today’s Cadwalader advises the world’s leading financial institutions, ...
About the Firm
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP is the oldest Wall Street firm still in existence. Among its practices are capital markets, corporate, finance, financial regulatory, financial restructuring, litigation, and real estate. The firm is a well-established presence in Charlotte, London, New York, and Washington, DC.
Dating Back to the Days of Washington . . . As in George
Cadwalader was founded in 1792, when folks were still sealing letters with wax and writing with quills, and revolutionized law firms by doing away with the old system of unpaid law clerkships and establishing the role of the associate.
The present-day Cadwalader forged a niche in the early New York legal field by working on commercial claims, litigation, maritime law, and real estate for ba...
- “There are many firm-sponsored events, especially related to diversity and equity initiatives. Practice groups also have relatively frequent happy hour events. Lawyers and staff have positive working relationships.”
- “Collegial atmosphere. Most partners have an open-door policy and are friendly. Good mentor program with frequent social outings.”
- “The culture is down to earth—lawyers here take their work seriously and have high standards, but are also reasonable and practical in their expectations. Partners and counsel alike provide meaningful feedback on specific assignments, and broader mentorship to junior associates. The firm devotes significant time to training as well. The firm also frequently hosts social events, and lawyers sometimes socialize outside of these events as well—but there's also no pressure to socialize, either.”
- “Friendly and open. Social but not overly demanding. Events are well attended. Attorneys get together after work, celebrate birthdays and milestones, and overall enjoy each other's company.”
Why Work Here
At Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, we put nearly 230 years of legal experience and innovation to work today for many of the world’s most prominent financial institutions, corporations and funds. Our attorneys provide counsel and strategic legal solutions to help their clients break new ground, accomplish business goals, and manage challenges. Our long legacy continues with our work on the most important, sophisticated and complex transactions, litigation, disputes, investigations and regulatory matters of the day.
As a firm community, Cadwalader is comprised of talented and driven individuals committed to excellence and innovation. Across practices, offices and transatlantic borders, we share the common goal of providing world-class client service through the development of a culture that fosters diversity, collaboration and professional growth.
Diversity at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “The firm focuses intensely on the hiring process. Our recruiting department is constantly reaching out to request associates and partners participate in events, panels, and interviews. I know the questions we are asked and reviews we provide focus on the ability to be successful and contribute to the firm, but also whether the individual would be a good firm citizen.”
- “Our group at the law firm seems to target hard workers who take initiative, regardless of law school, journal experience, etc.”
- “Personality and maturity play a large role. Diversity is always a consideration. We focus on trying to ensure that any candidate that joins will be successful.”
- “The firm considers a wide range of talent, and is not limited to hiring based on the prestige/ranking of certain law schools. Whereas personality and presentation are important, the firm has robust programs in place to develop talent for individuals hired out of school who did not participate in our summer recruitment program.”