At Cozen O’Connor, attorneys get to tackle exciting legal challenges while maintaining a life outside of work. Associates appreciate the autonomy they are given to do their jobs and the responsibility they are given early in their careers.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Associates often sacrifice personal lives for work lives, but at Cozen O’Connor, work-life balance is celebrated and a source of pride. Hiring requirements include academic achievement and work experience, and the firm looks for hard workers who will merge seamlessly into friendly, professional office settings. People get along well in the office and at social gatherings. Partners treat associates kindly and with dignity and are there to help associates develop. Formal training opportunities are plentiful but not always instructive, which is OK since senior attorneys take the time to guide, teach, and provide feedback to associates. Lateral hires are onboarded nicely as well. Work assignments are interesting and meaty, and associates typically enjoy autonomy to manage cases, thoug...
About the Firm
With 31 offices across the U.S., U.K., and Canada, Cozen O’Connor is a full-service law firm. The firm’s client list ranges from Fortune 500 and middle-market firms to startups and individuals.
Cozen O’Connor was founded in 1970 by Stephen A. Cozen. The firm originated with four lawyers practicing insurance and commercial litigation. Today, the firm boasts more than 825 lawyers around the world with experience in dozens of practice areas.
From Hard Hats to Policy
Though the firm’s main practice areas are litigation, corporate and regulatory law, and government relations, Cozen O’Connor provides legal assistance in everything from aviation to bankruptcy to cannabis to construction to employment to maritime to pr...
- “The firm culture is supportive, social, and professional. Some lawyers do socialize after hours. I have a friend in another office whom I talk to daily, both during and after hours. The day-to-day atmosphere is inviting and motivating. This is my fourth firm, and I can honestly say the atmosphere is unmatched.”
- “Lawyers at Cozen are very down-to-earth, and get along well. When people are in the office, they make an effort to get lunch together and catch up. Overall, I feel that the firm really cares about its employees as people, rather than just billable hours.”
- “Atmosphere is very collegial and friendly. Attorneys are encouraged to have good work-life balance, and to engage with colleagues outside of work hours at numerous firm events. Firm is willing to invest in associate development, and is very proactive about marketing training.”
Diversity at Cozen O'Connor
Getting Hired Here
- “The firm is looking for attorneys who have good academic credentials and work experience, and who it feels will fit into the firm culture well.”
- “I think my firm looks for laterals who are entrepreneurial with good firm/bar citizenship, and good prior work experience.”
- “Our firm looks for high-character individuals who excel at reading, writing, and critical thinking; have a great work ethic; and are generally just good people to be around.”