Eversheds Sutherland is a legal behemoth, with thousands of lawyers practicing across such areas as corporate, energy, financial services, IP, litigation, real estate, and tax. Among its top practice areas includes tax, where the firm active in every area from planning the most complex corporate tax transactions to representing taxpayers in administrative and judicial tax controversies The firm also ranks high for associate quality of life, with particular recognition for its training and mentorship.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2020)
No. of U.S. Offices
Major Office Locations
About the Firm
Eversheds Sutherland is one of the largest firms in the world, with more than 3,000 attorneys practicing in offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and the United States. In addition, a network of more than 200 related law firms, including formalized alliances in Latin America, Asia Pacific and Africa, provide support around the globe. In the U.S., lawyers work across eight offices from coast to coast.
The Makings of a Mega Firm
In early 2017, Eversheds Sutherland was formed through the combination of the U.S. firm Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP and the U.K. firm Eversheds LLP. Sutherland began as a tax firm, formed in 1924 by William Sutherland, a former clerk to Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, and Elbert Tuttle. After World War II, the firm began expanding to ...
- “Everyone is helpful and supportive. The people care about one another and their shared professional growth. They treat one another like humans! Everyone wants to be more social, when the pandemic allows it!”
- “The firm has a professional culture—everyone is expected to treat each other with kindness. Obnoxious behavior doesn't seem to be tolerated.”
- “Culture is collegial, grounded, and transparent; lawyers socialize frequently at both firm-sponsored events and independently. Day-to-day, attorneys have a great banter.”
Why Work Here
For more than 85 years, Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP has built on the high standards of its founders with a commitment to integrity and to the highest quality of service for its clients. We were founded in 1924 by William Sutherland, formerly a law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brandeis, and Elbert Tuttle, who later became the Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The firm of Sutherland & Tuttle first established a national reputation in the tax field. In the ensuing years, we became known as Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP and most recently, Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP. Today we have prominent practices in the corporate, energy and environmental, financial services, insurance intellectual property, litigation, real estate and tax areas.
Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP is known for solving challenging business problems and resolving sophisticated legal issues for a diverse client base that ranges from small and medium-sized start-up businesses to a significant number of Fortune 100 companies. We serve our clients from six offices: Atlanta, Austin, Houston, New York, Sacramento and Washington DC.
Diversity at Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “Mostly takes top of the class from local/regional schools including GW, Howard, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, etc. Also takes a handful of above average from T14s. Emphasis on prior work experience with probably about two-thirds-ish of associates having a prior career.”
- “There are no feeder schools, but I have noticed my practice group starting to shift priority to candidates with prior work experience that did not go straight through from college to law school.”
- “Our firm is an equal opportunity employer and hires associates/attorneys from different backgrounds, skillsets, and legal experience.”