As one of the largest firms in Oklahoma, with 100 attorneys divided among two offices, GableGotwals has made its mark on the state’s legal market in more ways than one. The firm has grown above and beyond its humble beginnings in 1944, now touting clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations and well-known foundations to entrepreneurs and privately owned companies. Although GableGotwals’ primary practice is in litigation and business transactions, the firm’s attorneys focus on dozens of practice areas.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
No. of U.S. Offices
GableGotwals is looking for attorneys with unique backgrounds who want to build their career at the firm. The culture is friendly and family-oriented, with unique traditions like a weekly luncheon at a local dining club in Tulsa. Partners generally treat associates well, and firm leadership is committed to associate development through the firm ranks, including developing training and mentoring programs in recent years. Informal mentor relationships can develop with partners if an associate works with them frequently. While workflow can be inconsistent month-to-month, the firm has a reasonable billable-hour requirement and offers flexibility in when and where you do your work. The work itself is substantive, and associates have some freedom to pursue their interests within the fir...
About the Firm
As one of the largest firms in Oklahoma, with approximately 100 attorneys divided among two offices, GableGotwals has made its mark on the state’s legal market in more ways than one. The firm has grown above and beyond its humble beginnings in 1944, now touting clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations and well-known foundations to entrepreneurs and privately owned companies. Although GableGotwals’ primary practice is in litigation and business transactions, the firm’s attorneys focus on dozens of practice areas.
Not Just a Midwest Firm
The firm continuously racks up quite the laundry list of accolades, with recognition from organizations such as Benchmark Litigation, Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000, <...
- “The culture is friendly, hard-working, professional, and kind. Lawyers often interact—most everyone has an open-door policy. We don't socialize a ton outside work (mostly because people have families they want to spend time with). But I expect we'll socialize more outside work now that we're in the new office.”
- “It's a very collegial environment, and among the (if not the) most professional among Oklahoma-based law firms. As Tulsa has revitalized its downtown, the firm, and the younger lawyers at the firm in particular, have made an effort to get together socially more frequently, rather than retreating to their homes away from downtown. It does not happen on a weekly basis, perhaps once a month, attorneys (mostly younger) get together informally, and then there are firm-organized social events one or two times a month that are usually well-attended by staff and by most of the attorneys. The firm also has had a long-standing weekly luncheon at a local dining club that's well attended, although whether that will continue after the firm's office move is unclear. Staff really buy into the firm culture. Many of have been here a long time and seem to take a great deal of pride in being part of GableGotwals.”
- “In comparison with other legal organizations I've been a part of, GableGotwals best provides a balance between ample opportunities to socialize without making it seem like a chore. The lawyers at GableGotwals enjoy the camaraderie of their fellow attorneys, but respect the out-of-work interests and obligations that their colleagues have.”
- “It is family oriented and flexible. The firm is very willing to accommodate your needs—remote work, non-traditional hours, etc. There are plenty of opportunities to socialize with other attorneys and staff. I believe everyone is friendly, and I have not had any unprofessional or inappropriate interactions with anyone.”
Diversity at GableGotwals
Getting Hired Here
- “The hiring process focuses on primarily top students from Oklahoma-based law schools, although for an Oklahoma firm GableGotwals has a significant number of attorneys from highly-ranked, out of state law schools. The firm looks for top of the class type credentials—excellent grades, journal experience, etc. Diversity is increasingly a factor as well. The firm looks for candidates that want to make a career here. The firm only hires a few associates, so there's not a practice of hiring numerous associates with the expectation that some just won't pan out. Because of that, the firm looks for candidates with ties to the area.”
- “The firm seeks high quality candidates. A person's success in law school is important. The firm also wants someone that will be enjoyable to work with and that works hard. While the firm recruits heavily locally—University of Oklahoma and University of Tulsa—the firm also makes an effort to recruit from law schools across the country. The firm encourages summer associates to do judicial clerkships and then join employment at the firm as an associate once they complete their clerkships.”
- “I believe that the firm is looking for candidates with excellent academics and unique backgrounds. While academics are the most important portion, work history and personal experiences help to distinguish candidates as potential employees who can interact with co-workers and clients.”
- “Firm looks for recruits with strong academic credentials and good personality. We want lawyers who are accurate, efficient, enjoyable to work with, and add unique perspective to firm and client issues. Diversity is important in the hiring process. We often hire from local schools simply due to proximity, but we regularly get interest from students all over the country who have ties to Oklahoma.”