Founded in 1995 in Silicon Valley, Gunderson Dettmer has grown to 11 offices and 400 attorneys as the leading international law firm focusing solely on the innovation economy. They are world leaders in providing legal services to venture-backed and public technology and life sciences companies, as well as venture capital investors. Sophisticated work, amazing tutelage from partners, and office culture are highlights for associates.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Gunderson is a hyper-focused firm that does one thing very well: venture capital work, particularly with tech startups. Although grades and law school prestige are important, Gunderson expects that those who wish to work there be able to demonstrate via extracurriculars or prior work experience a genuine interest in that practice area. Associates say that this is not a firm for people who want to shut the door and work; the culture is very social, and folks who enjoy that will flourish at the firm. Partners are said to be very friendly and approachable, although transparency in firm-level decision making is cited as a growth area. Although the normally reasonable billable hour requirement has been out of reach for some associates with the broader downturn in the tech world, they h...
About the Firm
Gunderson Dettmer Stough Villeneuve Franklin & Hachigian is a Silicon Valley firm at heart, and it has already outgrown its status as a premier boutique firm for the technological world. The firm has expanded in the U.S. and internationally over the last few years. With offices in Ann Arbor, Austin, Beijing, Boston, Los Angeles, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, São Paulo, Silicon Valley, and Singapore, and extensive work in Latin America, the firm is an international specialist in emerging growth market matters for corporate and venture capital clients.
Emerging Growth Market, Boom or Bust
In 1995, Bob Gunderson, Scott Dettmer, and four other partners jumped ship from the now-defunct Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison and started a Silicon Valley firm, just before the ...
- “Gunderson attracts lawyers who genuinely like spending time together. It's not uncommon for us to plan brunches or get togethers outside of work, and we have a fantastic office coordinator who makes social events seamless. People are friendly, and although we're dedicated to responsiveness and getting our work done quickly, folks generally don't take themselves too seriously.”
- “The firm culture is pretty laid-back and comfortable. Lawyers and staff socialize together regularly.”
- “Our offices are very open, collaborative, and social on a day-to-day basis. Firm-sponsored social events are well attended, and looked forward to.”
- “The firm has an amazing culture, especially relative to peer firms and other BigLaw firms. Collaboration and socialization are huge here. This is not the firm to come to if you want to close your door and shy away from folks. Social butterflies succeed here.”
Why Work Here
Since our inception in 1995, Gunderson Dettmer has maintained its leadership and reputation for being the premier firm in venture capital and technology law. As the firm whom works with the next class of innovation, Gunderson counsels emerging growth companies and investors at various stages and serves the venture capital market globally.
We have been recognized by Chambers International, The Legal 500, FinanceAsia, and U.S. News, and were nominated for the LMG Life Sciences Venture Capital Firm of the Year. Additionally, Gunderson was ranked by PitchBook as the #1 law firm globally for high-growth technology and life sciences companies and investors for seven years in a row.
With offices across major venture hubs such as Silicon Valley and San Francisco, Boston, Ann Arbor, Los Angeles, New York, Beijing, Singapore, San Diego, and Austin, Gunderson continues to make an indelible mark across the globe. Join us and make a lasting impact by being part of a firm at the center of emerging growth and venture communities worldwide.
Diversity at Gunderson Dettmer Stough Villeneuve Franklin & Hachigian, LLP
The Law Firm Diversity Profile contains the firm’s self-reported responses to the Vault/MCCA Law Firm Diversity Survey, an annual survey conducted by Vault.com in partnership with the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. Detailed demographic breakdowns of the firm’s attorneys by level, race, gender, LGBTQ and disability status offer a valuable statistical overview, while descriptions of its diversity programs, initiatives and strategic plans provide a comprehensive portrait of the firm’s commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Getting Hired Here
- “I think law school attended and culture fit are the most important factors. You have to really WANT to work with ECVC and tech clients, as demonstrated by prior work experience and law school extracurriculars.”
- “The firm cares about grades/law school attended to an extent, but is generally more focused on finding candidates that are well-suited to, and interested in, the ECVC world.”
- “I think the firm values people that are creative, resourceful, and good team players. An interest in start-ups, venture capital, and technology is really important. Graduating from a good law school is a plus.”
- “The firm generally looks to top-law schools for talent, but is also willing to look at candidates as a whole. I did not come from a top 25 law school, but the firm was very excited about my prior work experience (outside the law). The firm is willing to entertain talent that may seem less than ordinary, knowing that some extraordinary attorneys come from less traditional career paths.”