Jackson Walker is the largest exclusively-Texas law firm, with over 500 attorneys working from six offices across the state. Associates express high levels of satisfaction with nearly every aspect of firm life, from hours to culture to compensation to D&I. As a full-service firm, virtually all practice areas are represented, and associates enjoy a variety of sophisticated legal work.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
If you want to be in Texas, Jackson Walker is a good place to be. The culture gets excellent reviews, and it is described as a firm where everyone is friends with each other and socialization is frequent. Partners’ treatment of associates is described glowingly, and the firm also receives high marks on its transparency, with associates describing decisions as clearly communicated before and as they are happening. Base compensation is below the national market but high for Texas, and also includes origination bonuses for associates. Associates are very satisfied with the work they are assigned, and describe the firm’s technological support as adequate and supportive of remote work. The firm offers many formal wellness programs, and associates rate the firm’s support for attorney we...
About the Firm
Jackson Walker is the largest firm contained completely in Texas. The firm has more than 500 attorneys practicing in a broad range of practice areas in six offices across the Lone Star State: Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Angelo, and San Antonio. Jackson Walker represents 9 of the Fortune 10, 45 of the Fortune 100, and 167 of the Fortune 500. Internationally, attorneys have represented clients in more than 85 countries and territories, and the firm is a founding member of Globalaw, a worldwide network of law firms with offices throughout the U.S. and in more than 58 countries worldwide.
Big Dallas Beginnings
Jackson Walker was established in 1887 when former schoolteacher W.J.J. Smith started his practice in Dallas. In the 1890s, brothers John and George Robertson came to Da...
- “The law firm holds regular events to allow the attorneys in different sections to get to know each other, including weekly happy hours and regular CLE presentations.”
- “JW is extremely collegial. People are pretty social and enjoy spending time together.”
- “I really enjoy the culture of JW, and it is actually the main reason I accepted a job here. Everyone I interact with is nice and inviting and makes you feel welcome. I love how down to earth everyone is, and people really seem to enjoy spending time together.”
- “Several happy hour events per month, and lunches during the week (at least weekly). Many of the attorneys, partners and associates, socialize on the weekends as well.”
Why Work Here
Grow and Lead Early On
Jackson Walker maintains a strong partner-to-associate ratio, and we take pride in staffing clients’ matters efficiently so our associates have the opportunity to take on a great deal of responsibility early on in their career. Plus, our broad range of clients allows our associates to handle a wide variety of high-value work.
Diversity at Jackson Walker
Getting Hired Here
- “Someone who works well with the rest of the team and values the same things we value.”
- “The process is competitive. My impression is that the well-rounded individual is preferred, with an emphasis on grades.”
- “The firm wants amiable people who are high performing. The firm doesn't care about where you're from, it cares about who you are and what you've done.”
- “I think that the firm is interested in candidates who excelled in law school, have a great personality, and have a commitment to the Texas market.”