Leading the charge in compensation, Milbank is among the most elite law firms for corporate law. The firm prioritizes mentoring and training, including through its highly regarded Milbank@Harvard program. Hardworking-yet-easygoing candidates will fit well with the firm’s friendly culture.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Whether it’s compensation, training, or quality of work, associates can expect the best from Milbank. Hiring is competitive, and only applicants with top grades—and usually from top law schools—who will fit in with the firm culture will get looks. That firm culture is friendly and familial, though not overly social. People understand the need for work-life balance. Associates find partners approachable and respectful, and partners seem to value associates’ input on cases and firm decisions. Training at Milbank is exceptional, with robust programs like Deals@Milbank, Advocacy@Milbank, and Milbank@Harvard, and mentors step up with helpful support for associates. Dedicated training and orientation for lateral hires are satisfactory but could use some attention. Work assignments range...
About the Firm
Milbank LLP is one of the nation’s leading firms for corporate finance and restructuring, litigation, and project finance. It is known for its international work and focus on the energy sector.
Milbank planted its roots on Wall Street more than 150 years ago as Anderson, Adams & Young. The firm’s first clients included American entrepreneurs, bankers, and railroad financiers, including the Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers. The firm weathered two World Wars, the Great Depression, and many mergers before settling in as Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy in 1962. Today, the firm has 12 offices across the globe—including its new digs in Hudson Yards and London. The firm also rebranded in 2019, shedding the “Tweed, Hadley & McCloy” to become simpl...
- “The firm culture is very collegial, although there are some idiosyncrasies between the various practice groups. I would not describe Milbank as the most social firm, but I do think that people foster personal relationships with each other, and socialize together after hours/on weekends. The day-to-day atmosphere is pretty lively, and the office has been largely back in full swing.”
- “Milbank has a very familial culture. It's not uncommon to see associates across practice groups having lunch together, or chatting in offices on a given day. Partners are invested in the personal lives of their associates, and create opportunities for group morale. Lawyers frequently socialize with each other outside of the office, and staff are typically included in various group events.”
- “Friendly, always make sure to say hello in the mornings. Social, but also understand work-life balance. Supportive of hobbies, vacations, and major life moments.”
- “Milbank is a very warm place. It's very social in the office, with some socializing outside of work. The support staff are delightful, and definitely contribute to the social atmosphere.”
Why Work Here
At Milbank, our attorneys collaborate across globally impactful practices like project, energy & infrastructure, M&A, capital markets, fintech, private equity & more. With a longstanding commitment to pro bono work, renowned professional development opportunities and mentoring programs, an inclusive and collegial culture, and established affinity groups, we pride ourselves on the work we do and the values we keep. The firm has practice groups in Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Munich, New York, São Paulo, Seoul, Singapore, Tokyo and Washington, DC to help the world’s leading businesses, institutions and individuals achieve their strategic objectives.
Diversity at Milbank
Getting Hired Here
- “Milbank is a very competitive firm in terms of recruitment. In light of Milbank's reputation as a leader in compensation, Milbank has been successful in recruiting the top tier of candidates from top law schools.”
- “Milbank hires from a diverse range of law schools. I believe Milbank looks for candidates with top academic credentials, who are also kind and have interesting backgrounds. The recruiting team provides training for interviewing candidates.”
- “Not only are they looking for the best of the best in terms of academic success, but they are also looking to see if you are going to be a personality fit for the warm, friendly, down-to-earth, and inclusive culture that they are trying to maintain.”
- “Milbank's hiring process is competitive, but so is its recruiting. Like any top BigLaw firm, Milbank focuses on the top law schools, but it always takes a handful of promising students from lesser-ranked schools at the top of their class (myself included). It's not a snobby place, though, and no one cares (or remembers, honestly) where most of their colleagues went to law school. It's a meritocracy when you get here, and I like that.”