WELCOME TO ROPES & GRAY
Practicing law at Ropes & Gray puts you at the forefront of the legal and business developments shaping the industries that are transforming our world and creating new opportunities daily. You’ll handle exciting, innovative work for an impressive roster of leading global clients. You’ll also hone your professional skills with a training program regularly recognized as the finest in the industry. Just as important, you’ll enjoy the benefits of our renowned collegial and collaborative culture.
Ropes & Gray’s attorneys focus on the most critical business needs of our clients, across a range of leading legal practices. Our collaborative approach means that our clients have ready access to corporate, litigation, transactional and regulatory attorneys whose knowledge and experience span industries and geographies. Click here to see a full practice list.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Real Work The vast majority of entry-level attorneys at Ropes & Gray start their careers at the firm as summer associates, which is why we structure our 10-week summer program to offer a realistic sense of daily life at the firm. Summer associates handle challenging work on actual client matters as part of a comprehensive program designed to offer both professional and personal growth.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Diversity is an essential component of Ropes & Gray's firm identity, one that has become even more important as we serve an increasingly varied roster of clients around the world. We are committed to fostering an inclusive community of professionals of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations and family structures. We see our individual differences as an asset that enhances the quality of life for each of us and strengthens what we can accomplish as a firm.
Training and Development Ropes & Gray associates can count on the firm to help them enhance their professional development. We provide:
- Career Support Each associate is assigned an associate development partner (ADP), who works closely with the appropriate practice group associate development manager (ADM) to support each associate’s development and advancement.
- Challenging Work We offer associates exposure to numerous partners and progressively greater responsibilities, with ADPs and ADMs collaborating to ensure that each associate receives a steady stream of work and real-time performance feedback.
- Training Resources We offer hundreds of training programs every year, including practice-specific training camps for new associates, associate cohort retreats, and management and leadership conferences. Our training, ranked number one by Vault, provides the resources to help our associates develop the skills and legal knowledge to become the best lawyers possible.
- Global Opportunities We created the GO (Global Opportunity) program to give our lawyers a chance to immerse themselves in a new culture or city by working in one of our 11 offices worldwide—or, on a temporary basis, with one of our clients.
- Flexible Careers Our Flex program allows lawyers to explore different professional paths through a flexible work arrangement (FWA). Each FWA—which can last from months to years—is customized to the needs of the lawyer and the practice group. FWAs may incorporate flexible scheduling, reduced time commitment and/or remote work.
- Re-ttorney Program We developed the re-ttorney—returning attorney—program to demonstrate that we welcome conversations with attorneys who left the firm for worthwhile professional or personal reasons and are interested in returning. It includes a comprehensive plan for reintegrating attorneys into offices and practice groups.
To learn more about working at Ropes & Gray, please visit our Legal Recruiting website.
A Commitment to Public Service Ropes & Gray’s public service commitment is a hallmark of the firm, rooted in the example set by the firm’s founders 150 years ago. Pro bono work is truly a firmwide endeavor, supported by the energy and creativity that each of our 11 offices across the globe contributes to public service. From securing asylum for endangered immigrants to helping people keep their homes to winning the release of the wrongly convicted to arguing the landmark marriage equality case, Obergefell v. Hodges, before the U.S. Supreme Court, Ropes & Gray strives to provide the highest level of pro bono legal advice and support to those who need it most.
For an in-depth look at Ropes & Gray’s recent pro bono work, and the ways in which we invest in our people and our communities, please see our Practice with Purpose brochure.
Awards & Newsroom Ropes & Gray is recognized as one of the world’s premier law firms, receiving accolades from respected publications and organizations for the high quality of service our attorneys provide to our clients. The firm has also been named one of the leading firms for pro bono work and for our diversity initiatives.