Sheppard Mullin—new to the $1 billion-a-year revenue club—has continued to grow since its founding almost 100 years ago in Los Angeles. With 16 offices worldwide and 1,000 attorneys, it has expanded from primary representation of retailers and banks to stellar legal services in commercial law, litigation, aerospace and defense, land use and real estate, entertainment law, IP law, and government contracts. Associates wanting pro bono experience will be happy with Sheppard Mullin’s dedicated pro bono partner and project coordinator....
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Sheppard Mullin has grown exponentially in size since its founding as a two-person shop in 1927, but that growth hasn’t gone to the firm’s head, so to speak. Proud to be a Los Angeles native, Sheppard Mullin retains a strong California identity even with offices across the country and around the world. The firm also holds tight to its small-firm origins, literally as well as figuratively—from the firm’s selective hiring process focusing as much on fit as on academics and its relatively small summer class size to its culture, which associates describe as “small firm” and “familial.” Partners are highly respectful of associates and express appreciation for their contributions, going above and beyond to provide feedback in the interest of learning and growth. Associates are impressed...
Sheppard Mullin is a full-service AmLaw 100 firm with more than 1,000 attorneys in 16 offices worldwide.
We pride ourselves on valuing and cultivating what we think matters most: people — our colleagues, our clients and the larger communities in which we operate.
We are proud of our culture, which emphasizes ci...
About the Firm
With expertise in a variety of practices, including corporate, litigation, employment, IP, antitrust, and finance, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP has grown aggressively in recent times. The firm has added several industry-focused practices, such as healthcare, insurance, and entertainment, and serves such clients as Mastercard, Liberty Mutual, Allstate Insurance, and Disney.
Today’s Sheppard Mullin entered the world in 1927 as Haight & Mathes, the brainchild of two young lawyers who left a small Los Angeles firm to strike out on their own. James Sheppard joined the nascent firm the following year. Name partners J. Stanley Mullin and George Richter cut their teeth as law clerks in the Great Depression’s waning days. With the 1938 hiring of Harvard gr...
- “The firm is known for having a friendly atmosphere. A big proportion of the staff have been there many years, some decades, so there is a lot of history, and that really contributes to a warm environment that's pretty different from many of the big firms I've visited. You can feel it in the hallways.”
- “Lots of social events, and I don't feel pressured to attend everything. They do a good job of celebrating cultural holidays, colleague weddings and birthdays, and having substantive ‘lunch and learns.’”
- “There are frequent firm-sponsored opportunities for lawyers at the firm to socialize, meet people who are new to the firm, and congratulate attorneys on accomplishments, such as making partner or passing the bar. The daily atmosphere welcomes, and allows attorneys to interact casually. In the office, I've enjoyed many candid discussions about questions that came up about work, and how to maintain work-life balance. I have great relationships with staff, who are generally very eager to help, and give advice about logistics whenever possible.”
- “Collegial, familial, friendly.”
Why Work Here
Today’s Sheppard Mullin had a Roaring Twenties start in Los Angeles as a firm called Haight & Mathes. By the mid-1940s, and operating under its current name, the firm had become highly regarded (and still is) for its antitrust, finance, and employment law practices. Between 1977-86, the firm opened three other offices spanning the Golden State and added practices in key California industries, including aerospace and defense. In the '90s, the firm's specialties expanded to include a thriving corporate and securities practice, a prestigious real estate/land use/natural resources group, and a strong construction litigation practice.
To learn more about the firm's history click here.
Diversity at Sheppard Mullin
Getting Hired Here
- “We have a strong recruitment committee, that works to be as inclusive of a diverse array of candidates as possible. SMRH prioritizes academic achievement and professional achievement as much as it does personality and drive.”
- “The firm seeks people who are inclusive and culturally aware, and able to understand and appreciate differences in people. …”
- “I believe Sheppard is looking for intelligent, honest, creative, and very driven individuals. The firm continues to be at the top of AmLaw 100 firms in terms of growth, and therefore the associates need to be very ambitious, and driven to work alongside attorneys who are pushing that growth. Partners like associates who provide creative solutions. …”
- “Good grades, likable personality, and expertise in a particular subject area. No feeder schools—the firm does a great job of hiring well outside the T20, and consistently hires from local schools. Newer associate classes are much more diverse than the older ones.”