With an impressive global footprint and a roster of top-notch clients, Sidley is the cream of the crop when it comes to law firms. Come for the sophisticated work and stay for the polite, amiable Midwestern vibe—as well as a sincere commitment to building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2022)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
With an extensive and impressive history, Sidley Austin is a desirable landing spot for associates. The firm considers applicants with top grades from top law schools, and also looks at candidates from strong regional schools. Cultural fit is important as well, as people care for each other and enjoy working together. The work environment is positive, especially as more people return to the office. Partners are kind and respectful toward associates and support their development through training and mentoring. Formal training is also emphasized through ongoing Zoom sessions and the firm’s Built to LeadSM program. Integration efforts make lateral hires feel like valued members of the team early on. All associates get to work on interesting and challenging projects, with work assigne...
Sidley has long fostered a culture of career-long learning. On January 1, we launched our new associate leadership and executive development program, Sidley’s Built to Lead. This professional development model is uniquely designed to help our associates become world-class lawyers with greater business acumen and leadership abilities. ...
About the Firm
Sidley is a global powerhouse, with over 2,300 lawyers across 21 offices. The firm boasts a long list of marquee clients in a range of industries, including energy, financial services, health care, insurance, life sciences, sports and media, and technology. The firm’s work in complex transactional and litigation matters is bolstered by exceptional regulatory experience, and the firm features many former officials from governmental agencies in Europe, the U.S., and China. It is also where Barack and Michelle Obama met—a little glimpse into the caliber of lawyer the firm attracts.
Chicago & New York Powers Unite
Sidley traces its roots back to the 1866 founding of predecessor firm Williams & Thompson in Chicago. Historical clients of the firm that later became known as Si...
- “Lawyers at Sidley genuinely enjoy working together and collaborating with one another. There isn’t an obligation or expectation to meet with each other outside of working hours.”
- “Sidley lawyers and staff are by and large quite friendly, and many of us have good friends in the office. The firm encourages and sponsors socialization. Many lawyers also socialize after hours.”
- “Firm culture is special at Sidley. I consistently feel like I work among ‘people’ rather than just ‘lawyers.’ People truly care about other people here—not only the work that we do, but our interests, personal lives, families, etc. I have many close friends at the firm, and I attribute that to the work environment that the firm fosters.”
- “Sidley is a firm of friendly and kind people who care about contributing to a positive work environment. With more people coming into the office more often, you can feel the culture more strongly on a daily basis.”
Why Work Here
LEADERSHIP IN LAW
We are proud of the range and caliber of the clients we serve. Many of our clients—from financial institutions and investment banks to Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds and private equities—are household names and at the forefront of their respective industries, professions and markets. Our success is born as much out of knowledge of the law as it is out of the strong relationships we build with our clients.
The firm strives to maintain an environment focused on teamwork and cooperation, and values the skills and knowledge that each individual brings to a project. Our lawyers and professional staff collaborate at all levels and treat each other with genuine respect. We believe our culture sets us apart from many other firms and enhances the experience, development and career satisfaction of our lawyers and staff alike.
Diversity at Sidley Austin LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “We seek to hire the best students from the best law schools and the top-ranked students from strong regional schools. That said, cultural fit is critical and even top students from the best schools will find themselves on the outside looking in if they don’t possess the hallmarks of a Sidley attorney: grit, team player, collegial, and emotionally intelligent.”
- “Sidley tries to be as selective as possible. I do believe that Sidley does a good job of not excluding candidates who might not tick every traditional box, i.e., law review, 4.0, etc. A number of Sidley’s best associates are extremely intelligent people who happen to be well rounded in other ways.”
- “I think the firm has high standards, but it is not a one size fits all approach. New recruits have very diverse backgrounds and there is no typical or standard path to joining Sidley. I’ve heard it’s competitive, though.”