- 75 Fortune 100 companies were Sidley clients during 2022
- 35 Band 1 practice rankings across Chambers Global and Chambers USA in 2023
- Highly ranked in 10 national categories in the 2023 edition of Benchmark Litigation
- 1 of 3 law firms to be ranked in the BTI Client Service 30 every year since 2001
Your Career Begins Here
With a focus on professional development and cultural integrity, Sidley has become a destination for the industry’s most sought-after law school students and experienced lawyers. We offer a powerful platform for individuals to apply their talents to important legal issues on an international scale while working alongside some of the world’s best lawyers. Ultimately, we believe our culture sets us apart from many other law firms and enhances the career satisfaction of our associates and partners alike.
Each year, we interview accomplished students at top law schools for our summer associate program, seeking candidates we believe will be successful associates and ultimately develop into the next generation of Sidley partners. Our program gives students a realistic view of the firm’s practice areas, including what it’s like to work on substantive matters for high-caliber clients. Additionally, third-year law students and recent law school graduates are encouraged to apply to open entry-level positions, and we are always reviewing applications from exceptional candidates even if no active searches are posted.
Associates who join the firm are offered an attractive and competitive salary and extensive benefits package that provides a variety of choices to meet their needs. Our associates also have access to comprehensive resources to assist them in reaching their professional goals, including the firm’s award-winning Built to Lead℠ program, practice group-sponsored training, and individual partner commitment to teaching, mentoring, coaching, and career guidance.
Here’s what some of our recent summer associates and associates had to say about what they love about Sidley:
- “I focused on two qualities while evaluating law firms: content and culture. Sidley undeniably works on the most sophisticated, complex content with first-rate clients. Importantly, I chose Sidley because its culture fosters collegiality, excellence and balance. I couldn’t be happier.”
- “Sidley has proven to be a superb place to begin my legal career. The partners at the firm take an interest in helping associates develop their legal skills from day one.”
- “What really struck me was the fact that all of the lawyers I worked with were willing to take the time to provide feedback and mentor. My summer experience confirmed that Sidley is an excellent place for young lawyers.”
Our investment in career-long learning hasn’t gone unnoticed. In 2022, we once again were named a LearningElite organization by Chief Learning Officer magazine. We have received this prestigious honor every year since the award’s inception in 2011 and have placed in the top 10 on four occasions.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Sidley has long been a pioneer in workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. We are able to thrive, in no small part, due to our commitment to diversify our ranks, build an inclusive and welcoming culture, and foster inclusion and collegiality within the greater legal profession. We seek to accomplish these goals by offering a network of support that enables lawyers of diverse backgrounds to succeed — from our first-year associates to those at the partnership level.
Our ongoing efforts to become a more diverse organization include the Built to Succeed Leadership & Inclusion Scholarship for second-year law students, as well as the Sidley Prelaw Scholars Program, which helps to build the pipeline of diverse lawyers entering the profession. We are also proud to be one of the first law firms to participate in the OnRamp Fellowship, a program designed to facilitate the re-entry of experienced female lawyers into the legal profession after time out of the workplace.
- “Best Law Firm for Women & Diversity” 2023 – Seramount
- Best Firm for “Retaining Female Talent” — Law.com International Women, Influence & Power in Law UK Awards 2023
- “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality”; Perfect 100 score, Human Rights Campaign’s 2022 Corporate Equality Index – HRC Foundation
- U.S. Gold Standard Certification, 2022 – Women in Law Empowerment Forum
A TRADITION OF SERVICE
At Sidley, we stand firm in our dedication to advancing the fundamental principles of equality, inclusion, and justice. We are committed to action in support of these principles, including through our pro bono representation, which amounted to more than 154,000 hours of work in 2022. We have also maintained a long-standing commitment to volunteering our time and resources to many causes that assist those in need. This includes working in local schools, colleges, and law schools, helping individuals and families who are homeless, providing gifts to needy children over the holidays, and supporting nonprofit and legal services organizations, such as Chicago Cares , New York Cares, United Way, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, and Cycle for Survival.
SUSTAINABILITY AT SIDLEY
We are dedicated to doing our part to ensure a sustainable future, conducting business in a responsible and mindful way that creates long-term value for our people, clients, and communities. We aim to minimize our impact on the environment by setting ambitious climate commitments to reduce our carbon emissions, as well as by creating a more sustainable workplace and culture across our global firm. From routine but important acts — such as recycling paper and waste — to impactful legal and pro bono work that empowers businesses and social enterprises alike, sustainability is integral to our operations.
Take the first step towards a fulfilling career in law and discover all the opportunities that await you at Sidley. Learn more here.