Stotler Hayes is a midsized law firm with a national presence. It has an exclusive clientele of healthcare providers, including long-term care providers such as nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, and sub-acute hospitals. The firm has a collaborative culture, billing and compensation policies that support work-life balance, and over a decade of experience succeeding as a fully remote attorney team.
Total No. Attorneys (2021)
No. of U.S. Offices
No. of International Offices
Major Office Locations
Major Practice Areas
Founded by two women in 2012 as a fully remote firm dedicated to work-life balance, Stotler Hayes Group is still making good on that promise. The culture is described as supportive and warm, with leadership dedicated to regular virtual and in-person events to ensure that attorneys remain connected to each other and an annual stipend for staff and attorneys to travel to visit colleagues and co-work. Partners are approachable and helpful, and the firm is very transparent about finances, promotions, compensation, and management-level decisions. The billable hour requirement is much lower than average, at 1,620 hours, and work assignments are based primarily on the jurisdictions in which a given associate is licensed. Base compensation reflects the low billable hour requirement, with ...
About the Firm
Stotler Hayes is a nationwide firm with a unique identity. With a fully remote attorney team, the firm has embraced an alternative model for delivering legal services, and serves an exclusive clientele of healthcare providers.
Two Women and Their Laptops
Founding partners Elizabeth Stotler and Kelly Hayes set out to open a firm that would allow them to achieve real work-life balance—they wanted to work with passionate integrity and be truly present with their families. In 2012, they took a leap and left their respective firms to form Stotler Hayes Group, an entirely remote law firm. It was only six months after opening their (figurative) doors that the two-woman team hired their first associate. Since then, Stotler Hayes Group has grown to a team of over 50, including attorneys license...
- “While working remotely, the firm ensures regular social interactions between staff and attorneys through scheduling of various virtual events and regular retreats.”
- “The firm has created an exceptional environment even though primarily remote with attorneys being more likely to be rewarded for supporting each other rather than climbing over your colleague for success.”
- “Congenial, teamwork-oriented, helpful. Lawyers socialize together and with staff. We are a remote firm, but we meet online often and have co-working incentives to work in person with others. The firm has retreats and firmwide co-working events to bring everyone together.”
- “All attorneys work remotely from home offices, but there are many opportunities to meet remotely and to collaborate. Communication between attorneys and paralegals and administrative staff is open and friendly.”
Why Work Here
Getting Hired Here
- “Firm considers a wide range of candidates from many backgrounds. Industry experience is valued but not required. Creativity, drive, and organization are key to success. Extensive interview process is conducted by multiple team members.”
- “SHG is looking for self-starters who can succeed in a completely remote environment and handle a high level of cases and fast-paced activity. Prior work experience in Medicaid, healthcare is a plus. Willingness to learn and outgoing personality is important.”
- “We look for candidates with good/relevant experience but take into consideration many factors other than strictly where a person graduated.”
- “The hiring process is fairly competitive because attorneys with very disciplined work habits, multiple bar licenses, and unique skill sets are sought.”