One of the most prestigious law firms, Sullivan & Cromwell subscribes to a generalist approach, allowing lawyers to work across industries and subgroups. Sullivan & Cromwell boasts an army of over 800 attorneys across eight countries. The firm prides itself on its mentoring and career advising, as well as providing associates with a positive environment to work on cutting-edge legal matters with talented colleagues.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
If you want to work at Sullivan & Cromwell, you need to beat out the competition with stellar grades, high intelligence, and passion. During the interview process, candidates are asked informal questions so the firm can get to know them and why they want to work at Sullivan & Cromwell. Once hired, associates receive a lot of feedback and training, but report that mentorship can be spotty unless the associate seeks out the relationship. The vast majority of assignments are substantive and meaningful, with senior attorneys providing guidance along the way. The firm also utilizes a staffing coordinator who takes into account the associate’s preferred area of interest when assigning matters. A culture of respect exists between partners and associates, and associates fe...
About the Firm
A BigLaw powerhouse, Sullivan & Cromwell has followed—if not created—the blueprint for legal success: It has grown internationally and in response to the increasing cross-border M&A, restructuring, and finance transactional demands of the biggest corporate clients in the world.
Kind of a Big Deal
Sullivan & Cromwell has consistently steered the development of many of the world’s corporate titans over the past 130-plus years. The firm founders, Algernon Sydney Sullivan and William Nelson, advised J.P. Morgan—as in the man himself—during the creation of Edison General Electric in 1882 and later guided key players in the formation of U.S. Steel and the financing of the Panama Canal. These lucrative foreign ventures caused the firm to be one of the first to ex...
- “I think the culture is intelligent and genuine. People are kind, smart, and hard working, and many enjoy socializing but it's not expected or mandatory that you attend social events if you're not into it. I really enjoy the balance.”
- “The firm's culture is professional but also supportive and congenial! There are opportunities to be social (weekly firm-sponsored happy hours, coffee outings with other associates, lunch in the cafeteria, and firm-sponsored outings to sports games, to name a few), but there's no pressure to attend. The attorneys I have worked with have been willing to teach and [are] understanding that mistakes happen. I have felt included as a valued member of every one of my matter teams as a first year.”
- “I have been pleasantly surprised with [the] firm culture so far. There really seems to be an emphasis on training and mentorship. I thought those were just buzzwords during the interview process, but no matter how busy people are, they are always willing to take the time to explain things and give background. I feel like those I work with are very much invested in my growth and want to train me to be a successful lawyer. So far, everyone I have worked with has been easygoing, even under pressure, and has been very much understanding of the challenges of adjusting to life in BigLaw.”
Why Work Here
Listen to our conversation with the managing partner of our Litigation Group, Sharon Nelles. Milana Hogan, Chief Legal Talent Officer, interviews Sharon about why she chose S&C, the Firm's approach to associate development and mentoring, her role as head of the Litigation Group, and her advice for students as they navigate their way through the recruiting process.
Diversity at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “It's extremely competitive. I know many very well-qualified people who did not get offers.”
- “I think we are looking for extremely intelligent, hard-working, genuine, and passionate people who are excited about working at the cutting edge of the legal industry and learning from the best.”
- “S&C is less focused on what school you have attended than what you achieved where you were. The firm looks for curious, passionate, intellectual, and ambitious individuals who will work hard and do good work because they care about their profession and their career.”