Launch Your Career
When you join Weil, you are not just getting a job – you are launching a career. You will work together with Weil colleagues, and team with clients to develop your skills as a business lawyer. Through hands on work supported by our award winning training and professional development programs, you will gain the foundational tools that can take you in many different professional directions.
Our success stems from our role as strategic business partners and as innovative problem solvers for clients wherever they operate. Talented individuals who want a seat at the table and to tackle complex, challenging matters on behalf of the biggest companies across the globe will find ample opportunities to shine.
With approximately 1,100 lawyers spread across offices on three continents, the Firm offers clients complex corporate megadeals expertise, leading trial capabilities across practices, and unmatched bankruptcy experience. Weil’s corporate lawyers have advised on more than 1,900 deals in the last five years totaling over $3 trillion. In just the last two years, our litigation team has won over 50 cases at all phases of litigation and our restructuring lawyers served as lead debtors' counsel in six of the seven largest U.S. bankruptcy filings in history. In 2022, 140 Weil partners received individual awards.
Practice Area Highlights:
Weil has proven itself time and again as a fearless advocate for its brand name clients at the top of their industries, some of which are highlighted below. For more information on our practice groups and their work, click here.
Selected Representation: Private Equity
- Weil’s 300-lawyer-strong global Private Equity practice is recognized as one of very few elite, market leaders in the field. We advise our PE clients on the full spectrum of investment products, from buyouts to capital raises to de-SPAC transactions. We have more than 300 PE clients worldwide.
- We advise 80% of the largest global private equity funds, including eight of the top 10, as ranked by PEI 300 Since January 2021, Weil’s Private Equity practice has signed or closed over 500 private equity transactions totaling nearly $500 billion in total deal value.
- Our practice is regularly recognized as among the best in the industry — Law360 has named Weil a “Private Equity Practice Group of the Year” six times (2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021).
Selected Representation: Mergers & Acquisitions
- Our Corporate teams have completed 3,000+ deals totaling more than $3.5 trillion in the last five years. With offices on three continents, our lawyers are adept at executing major, cross-border deals.
- Our M&A clients include: Athena Health, Brookfield Asset Management, Campbell Soup Company, Dow Chemical Company, Eli Lilly and Company, Getty Images, The Home Depot, Kinder Morgan, MGM Resorts International, Nexeo Solutions, Sanofi and The Kroger Company.
- In 2022 alone Weil was ranked in Tier 1 in the M&A category in the United States for the 10th year running by IFLR1000, won “France M&A Legal Adviser of the Year” at the Mergermarket European M&A Awards and was named a “Leading” firm for Corporate M&A by Chanbers Global.
- Corporate Department Chairman Michael J. Aiello was named him a Law360 “MVP” four times, and has been named an M&A “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal. He is ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA and is listed in the M&A “Hall of Fame” by Legal 500 US.
Selected Representation: Litigation
- Most recently, our litigators have played lead roles in the following victories and achievements:
- Securing a favorable mid-trial settlement for supermarket operator Giant Eagle in a bellwether case in the multi-billion dollar opioid multi-district litigation.
- Guiding a landmark, high-profile player abuse investigation for the National Women’s Soccer League Players Association.
- Winning a $100+M patent infringement jury verdict for Altria adverse to RJ Reynolds regarding e-vapor technology.
- Winning a $45M false advertising jury verdict for CareDX regarding organ transplant technology.
- Negotiating a seismic music royalty settlement for Pandora Media LLC ahead of a multi-billion dollar trial before the Copyright Royalty Board.
- Defeating two industry-wide antitrust class actions for Simon & Schuster relating to the markets for e-books and print books.
- Winning the dismissal of a significant securities class action brought against Elanco.
- Weil frequently secures headline-making jury verdicts for clients across industries and practices, differentiating us from many other national firms.
- Attorneys in our Appeals and Strategic Counseling practice are often called upon to litigate complex statues in appeals before the U.S. Supreme Court, federal and state appellate courts, trial courts and agencies.
- In 2021, Weil’s Litigation Department was named “Litigation Department of the Year” by the New York Law Journal, while our Appellate Practice was named to the “Appellate Hot List” by the National Law Journal and Department Co-Head Jonathan Polkes was named a 2022 “Litigator of the Year” by The American Lawyer, after Co-Chair David Lender won the same honor in 2021.
Selected Representation: Restructuring
- Weil invented much of what is now standard practice in the restructuring field and is consistently at the forefront of innovative restructurings to offer creative, thoughtful solutions. Bankruptcy legend Harvey Miller, who was Weil’s fourteenth partner, developed the Firm into a restructuring powerhouse. He played a pivotal role in nearly every landmark bankruptcy case, and inexorably shaped the Restructuring landscape.
- Our Restructuring clients have included: Aéropostale, AMC Entertainment Holdings, Brooks Brothers Group, Claire’s Stores, General Electric, General Motors, J. Crew Group, Lehman Brothers, PG&E Corporation, Scandinavian Airlines and Sears Holding Corporation, Takata Corporation and 24 Hour Fitness.
- Restructuring Department Co-Heads Matt Barr, Gary T. Holtzer and Ray C. Schrock are among the most influential practitioners in the industry. All three were recognized as “Crisis Leadership Trailblazers” by the National Law Journal in 2021.
- In Weil’s Restructuring practice, you’ll be learning directly from top leaders in the field while working on the biggest bankruptcy matters in the world.
Selected Representation: Banking & Finance
- We work on highly complex financings, offering our clients international deal execution and providing local law advice in key financial markets like New York, London, Paris, Frankfurt and Hong Kong.
- Weil is one of the very select firms that has both highly-rated borrower/sponsor and lender/arranger practices. We regularly represent corporate borrowers, private equity sponsors, and financial institutions on financings of all kinds.
- Our Banking & Finance practice numbers more than 100 attorneys worldwide and regularly works with our preeminent Restructuring practice. We have been involved in some of the most innovative financing techniques for liability management transactions and restructurings.
- The practice also works hand-in-hand with our M&A team on some of the largest deals in the market and is regularly listed as among the best in the world by Chambers, Legal 500 and International Financial Law Review.
Firmwide Honors: The excellence across our Firm has been widely recognized:
- Law360 named Weil among its 2021 “Firms of the Year” and awarded the Firm five “Practice Groups of the Year” awards.
- Weil’s next generation of leading lawyers were selected for 22 distinctions in 2021, including “Rising Star,” “40 Under 40,” “Emerging Leader” and “Outstanding Young Lawyer.”
- Forty-five women partners earned 93 accolades in 2021, including “Most Innovative Legal Practitioner,” “Notable Women in Law” and “Top Women in Litigation.”
- Financial Times ranked Weil among the “Most Innovative North American Law Firms” in 2021.
- Weil was named to the “2021 A-List” by The American Lawyer.
- Weil was recently named the “Most Inclusive Firm for LGBT+ Lawyers” at the Chambers and Partners Diversity & Inclusion Awards and the “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.