Winston’s Midwestern roots—though it’s grown to ten domestic and six international offices—are reflected in its top-to-bottom friendly culture. Strong mentorship allows junior associates to quickly develop skills on high-profile matters, and robust wellness and diversity programs round out the Winston experience. Those hoping to find a strong pro bono commitment in a law firm will be pleased with Winston, as the firm truly promotes that each attorney dedicates time and effort to pro bono matters each year.
Total No. Attorneys (2023)
No. of Partners Named (2023)
No. of 1st Year Associates Hired (2023)
No. of Summer Associates (2023)
Winston & Strawn is a firm with a long history, providing service to industry leaders for over 160 years. Associates enjoy the firm’s social culture, where attorneys and staff hang out together at weekly firm events and on their own. Winston & Strawn attorneys work on substantive projects, and associates are given early opportunities to gain experience and learn from senior associates and partners. Strong grades will get you an interview, but to get hired, candidates need to be a fit for the collegial personality of Winston & Strawn. Billable hour requirements are in line with the industry at 2,000 hours per year, but associates feel they have work-life balance due to the firm’s flexibility on when and where they work. Partners take their time to mentor jun...
About the Firm
From its 19th-century Chicago roots, Winston & Strawn has grown to a global law firm of nearly 1,000 attorneys across the United States, South America, Europe, and Asia. Winston is particularly known for its work in middle-market private equity, IP, labor and employment, renewable energy, sports law, and white collar.
Diversifying with the Times
The firm that became Winston & Strawn opened its doors in the Windy City in 1853 under the leadership of Harvard grad Frederick Hampden Winston, who played a vital role in Chicago’s emergence as a powerful business and financial center. Winston left the practice in the hands of his son Frederick Seymour Winston in 1885 to become the American Minister to Persia under Grover Cleveland. Silas Strawn joined the firm in 1892 and prac...
- “It seems like there are a lot of close friendships among associates and partners alike. It is always collegial, and it makes it easy to get to know others at the firm. Everyone is extremely respectful of staff, and they are crucial to everything we do.”
- “Our culture is very supportive and collaborative, and I have not experienced any competition. Everyone genuinely wants others on their team to succeed and grow. People are very personable, and firm-sponsored happy hours are well attended. Most lawyers also have coworkers they hang out with on their own time in groups. My summer associate class is still very close.”
- “Everyone gets along well socially and professionally. Attorneys and other employees socialize together at firm events and otherwise. The day-to-day in-office culture is always positive, but attorneys often seamlessly work remotely as well.”
- “The firm is incredibly collegial. Most lawyers here have families with younger kids, so work-life balance is really respected. Lawyers treat each other and staff like adults and with respect–no one necessarily cares how you do your work, but they do care that you do it at a high level. Associates and partners are always available for lunch or to get together after work.”
Why Work Here
At Winston, you will work with world-class attorneys on important matters for significant clients. We litigate cases and we close transactions. We are shrewd advisers, and our clients view us as trusted business partners.
We are proud of our culture of collaboration, collegiality, and learning. At Winston, you will learn from outstanding attorneys who genuinely care about your professional growth and happiness. You will participate in a comprehensive onboarding and integration program and receive best-in-class, holistic training through Winston University.
Winston’s long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion starts at the top and is included in our strategic plan. We have awarded $1 million in diversity scholarships to 50+ law students and earned a 100% score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for 13 straight years.
Diversity at Winston & Strawn LLP
Getting Hired Here
- “The firm is looking for candidates with strong grades but well-rounded life experience. For litigators, a clerkship is [valued]. For transactional attorneys, some business education or work experience is a key factor. The firm provides guidelines and some training for those who interview candidates.”
- “I came in as a lateral, and I definitely think my group values prior work experience and personality when hiring.”
- “We look for candidates who not only have the grades and experience we are looking for, but those who have strong interpersonal skills needed to be an effective advocate. School, grades, journal, clerkship, industry experience, personality, and diversity are all considered. I would not say there are particular feeder schools, and the firm does have guidelines for interviewers.”
- “The partners seem disciplined when it comes to expansion. I am very thankful that the partners have protected the culture of the office by only hiring people who buy into the collegial environment.”