Known as a place where consultants can forge their own paths, Avalon is a true boutique in a region that tends to be dominated by offshoots of US and European giants. As such, it is perhaps the best-known strategy consulting firm to have originated in the APAC region and offers a unique opportunity for top-tier local talent to build a career that spans industries and countries.
Major Departments/Practice Areas
Major Office Locations
As a strategy shop born in India, Avalon is a firm with “doing things its own way” built into its DNA—which turns out to be a very good thing for its consultants, who love the culture, support and can-do attitude of their firm.
On a day-to-day basis, this is a firm that will give you as much responsibility as you can handle, backed up by regular support and training from partners. Of course, as a smaller firm, there are tradeoffs around work life balance, firm processes and compensation. But, all things considered, Avalon represents a great opportunity to make a mark not just on the firm, but on the consulting industry in APAC as a whole.
About the Company
In operation since 1989, Avalon Consulting is an India-based international management consulting firm that serves clients in India, China, Europe, the U.S., and the Middle East. The firm is one of four entities that make up the Avalon Group; the other three being market research outfit Avalon Global Research, marketing analytics specialists Ugam Solutions, and Germinait Solutions, an artificial intelligence software company.
Operating out of offices in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, and Singapore, Avalon Consulting focuses mainly on strategy, business transformation, and innovation. The firm advises clients in a range of industries including agribusiness; automotive; chemicals; education; energy and power; engineering and capital goods; infrastructure; metals; and pharma and healthcare.
- “Ability of the senior management to convince clients and bring out solutions customised to their problems.”
- “Being a boutique firm and a smaller brand, being self-driven, self-motivated and entrepreneurial is important to do well whereas in established firms the structure takes over after a while.”
- “Great culture and team to work with, with immense learning and growth and industry best compensation.”
- “If you enjoy learning and shouldering a lot of responsibility, this is the place. As they say, you really learn swimming when you're in the deep end. The firm will give you the opportunity to dive in and will give you the occasional float. You have to make the most of it. When you swim to the shore, they will be cheering you on for the next one. Culture is solid.”
- “The company has a fantastic body of work built over 30+ years across Asia and Africa. The firm has also made a transition from the founders to a new leadership team that has grown from within the firm. There is now a very strong foundation for the company to grow in India and internationally. It’s a great company for young professionals to join to build a long-term career.”
Getting Hired Here
- “Extremely efficient. Being a relatively smaller firm gives the agility and the nimbleness that it needs to execute and implement decisions quickly.”
- “Fair process that cannot be questioned. The communication channel could be formalised a bit more. They are seeking candidates who don't back down. Even if you don't know the answer, they will give you the means to find one but then the onus is on you to utilise the means that they provide.”
- “Interview and call back process compares well with the best practices in the industry. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who thrives in uncertainty and learns quickly, has his/her eye on implementation aspects.”
- “Process is rigorous, covers multiple angles, strong emphasis on personality and attitude for consulting.”
- “The firm is looking for a critical thinker with high customer centricity and who can be developed into an entrepreneurial spirit.”