Smithfield Foods offers and internship that allows participants to be able to choose from a variety of program tracks, where they will gain valuable hands-on experience as they explore their potential career options in the food industry.
Internship Program Stats
About the Program
Smithfield offers an internship program for students who are interested in a career in several key areas, including distribution, engineering, finance, supply chain, sales, operations, and more. Participants will be able to choose from a variety of program tracks, where they will gain valuable hands-on experience as they explore their potential career options.
Applicants are required to have completed their sophomore year, and have a major in a relevant field. The paid program lasts 1...
About the Company
Smithfield began as a small company in Smithfield, VA in 1936. Now selling meat products worldwide, Smithfield is one of four companies currently responsible for about 70% of pork production in the U.S.—and in fact, the company owns and operates the world’s largest pig-processing facility. Meat is Smithfield’s business, and their name is practically synonymous for ham in this country. The company has grown largely through acquisitions over the span of its nearly 90 years in business. As a sub...
- “The quality of work at Smithfield is amazing. The management team is very friendly and willing to do everything possible for interns to have a good experience.”
- “The overall environment was very comfortable and inviting, and everyone was so nice and eager to show me anything that I wanted to know. I worked 40 hours and sometimes more, which was a plus! Outside of work, I still managed to sightsee and have fun.”
- “Work life was great. The atmosphere at the office was great and it seemed like I learned something new every day. I really enjoyed the work because it was so engaging and it is important work. It felt good to do something that I felt mattered.”
- “The culture at my facility was fantastic—everyone I worked with was always kind and more than willing to assist when I had questions or ideas. I was expected to work about 40 hours a week, and as long as that requirement was met, I could basically write my own schedule (aside from attending some mandatory meetings). Work/life balance was adequate, and I was often encouraged to go try different fun activities within the city by my coworkers”
Getting Hired Here
- “The interviews were very professional, transparent, and engaging. It seemed like the people really enjoyed their work, and they definitely seemed well-qualified to be in the position which they were in during the interview process.”
- “The interview process was very easy. I put in an application online and then had a phone interview about a week later. The interview focused on my experiences and what I had learned from them and played more like a professional conversation than a standard question-answer interview. Less than 24 hours later, I had an offer, and I was given adequate time to consider my options.”
- “The hiring process was simple and quick. The recruiter was helpful and reliable.”
- “The HR team is wonderful, and working with them through the process of hiring as well as being here has been a pleasure.”