Employment Prospects


Some allergists/immunologists are self-employed and work in private practice. Others work in clinics, hospitals, or large medical practices, and some work in laboratories conducting clinical research.

Starting Out

After four years of medical school, allergists/immunologists undergo three years of training in internal medicine or pediatrics, then a minimum of two years of training in an allergy and immunology residency. Following the completion of two years of residency, they can apply for certification by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.

Advancement Prospects

Most physicians advance their career by increasing their knowledge and experience and maintaining a good reputation with their patients and colleagues. Some may move from staff positions in hospitals or large medical practices to start a private practice. Others move into administrative and managerial positions at health care facilities or take teaching jobs.

Tips for Entry

For job listings, visit:


Become certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology in order to show potential patients that you have met the highest standards established by your profession.

Conduct information interviews with allergists and immunologists and ask them for advice on preparing for and entering the field.