Employment Firm Workers


Education and Training Requirements

High School

If you are interested in pursuing a career in the employment firm field, you should take college preparatory courses, such as social studies, English, mathematics, and communications. Business courses are also valuable.

Postsecondary Training

Employment firms typically require their workers to have a bachelor's degree in human resources, business, or a related field. Some firms may hire those with just a high school diploma for entry-level positions, but they require several years of related work experience as a substitute for education. In college, a combination of courses in the social sciences, behavioral sciences, business, and economics is recommended. Other relevant courses include principles of management, business administration, psychology, and statistics. Students are also usually required to complete an internship at an employment firm or in the human resources department of a company or other organization.

Other Education or Training

Many professional associations provide continuing education (CE) opportunities to employment firm workers. For example, the National Association of Personnel Services offers many useful webinars such as Recruiting on Facebook and other Web 2.0 Social Networks, Get Started on Twitter: Top 10 Recruiting Techniques, Sourcing and Finding Candidates With a Vision, and Emergency Resuscitation Kit for Recruiters. The National Employment Counseling Association, International Public Management Association for Human Resources, and the Society for Human Resource Management also provide CE workshops, seminars, and webinars. Contact these organizations for more information.

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

As a way of attaining increased professional standing, employment firm workers may become certified by the National Association of Personnel Services. Designations include certified personnel consultant, certified temporary-staffing specialist, and certified employee retention specialist. The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) also offers certification to human resources managers, including the SHRM certified professional and the SHRM senior certified professional. Contact these organizations for more information.

Although most employment firms must be licensed, those who work in them do not normally need any special license or certificate. Those individuals who plan to work for the government usually must pass a civil service examination.

Experience, Skills, and Personality Traits

To obtain experience, students should complete an internship at an employment firm or in the human resources department of a company or other organization. 

You should have a pleasant personality and enjoy working with people of different levels of education and experience. Much of the day is spent talking to job seekers or prospective employers, either on the phone or in person. You must exercise sensitivity and tact when interviewing potential customers or clients. Good writing and speaking skills are vital, as is attention to detail.