Work at L.E.K. Consulting? Submit a Review

Earn little, learn less

January 2019 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

- People are genuinely nice
- Most people are smart and reasonable

- Very low pay given hours (~$85K with profit sharing, which varies from year to year - there is no bonus), especially compared to banking
- Extensive hierarchy - there's a "senior" version of every title you'd normally find in a consulting firm
- Said hierarchy makes it impossible to step into new responsibilities and learn new things because having so many roles means the range of possible tasks every position can take on is very well defined
- Partners at L.E.K. take a larger cut of the total earnings than their counterparts in MBB, so they are incentivized and do severely understaff; certain partners are actively calling for a 65 hour baseline workweek

Advice to Candidates

>90% of the associate role is taking notes for interviews with market participants and industry experts ("due diligence") and Googling ("research"). These are both things that any responsible high schooler can do. Furthermore, because of the dynamics I explained above, it is impossible to learn anything new - especially hard skills. Associates only get to "drag things around" within PowerPoint, and never, ever touch modelling in Excel. We also have no financial literacy since so much of our "value added" is those interviews. Worst of all, several colleagues have told me this situation does not change in the first 2 years.

In short, DO NOT TAKE L.E.K. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OFFERS.

Unsustainable

August 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

*You work with smart colleagues
*The pay is good
*There is minimal travel - hard to find in consulting
*Management experience right out of the gate at post-MBA level

*You will be way over-utilized vs. other consulting companies
*Tons of due diligence work means sprinting all the time with no lulls in cases
*Minimal client exposure
*Terrible work life balance (averaging 13-14 hours a day M-Th and getting off early on Friday is not work life balance)
*Very little internal emphasis on coaching / development (little time for it - most people write reviews on their own time)
*Training is pretty weak overall
*Unclear expectations that vary widely between leadership

Advice to Candidates

Know what you're getting into. Talk to people who left and see where they leave to.

If you'll be coming in post-MBA, know that a lot of the sexier logos on the "Exits" logo page are associate exits. Exit opps are much different post-MBA.

Sr. Consultant

August 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Strategy shop with interesting work, especially in the life sciences
Fast career trajectory
Smart colleagues

The hours can be harsh
Steep learning curve for post-MBA hires

Advice to Candidates

Candidates need to be committed to the demanding work that LEK's style of consulting entails. On top of being bright, candidates who succeed are those that can be enthusiastic about solving difficult issues for our clients.

Challenging and impactful work with great people

Partner in Strategy | Boston, MA | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The opportunity to set my own destiny in a supportive environment

I think people are a little quick to dismiss us

Midlevel in Human Resources

Chicago, IL | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

We are proud of our forward-thinking work enviorment and highly intelligent indiviuals.

I absolutely love every minute of it. L.E.K. is perfect for me.

Experienced in Health Care and/or Pharmaceuticals | New York, NY | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The people, the type of work, no travel

rewarding

Midlevel in Strategy | Los Angeles, CA | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

collaboration

due diligence

I have enjoyed the highly challenging and impactful client work that have been personally rewarding and empowering.

Partner in Health Care and/or Pharmaceuticals | Chicago, IL | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Entreprenureal culture and high degree of learning/career growth

Hours can be long

I couldn't have anticipated the opportunities that I would have to impact our clients with such strategic work.

Midlevel in Strategy | Chicago, IL | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

You can actually work on growth strategy cases here

The hours can be long

High performance experience that hones your skills and pays you well

Partner in Strategy | San Francisco, CA | 2018 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE