Withum is an advisory, tax, and accounting firm headquartered in Princeton, N.J. Services include accounting, auditing, employee benefits, pension plans, tax, litigation support, business valuation, insolvency, transaction advisory services, and management consulting.
Major Office Locations
Withum is looking for hardworking, responsible, outgoing, curious organized, self-sufficient team players who are eager to learn and have strong communication skills. The firm’s valuable internship program provides students with meaningful hands-on experience. Interns are treated like full-time staff and get a clear look at what a full-time role with the firm is like. For its full-time staff, Withum offers extensive growth opportunities, including mentoring, open-door policies, internal mobility options, clear promotion paths, and more.
Busy seasons mean long hours and high stress, and thus a difficult work/life balance. However, outside the busy periods a healthy work/life balance is easily achieved. The firm offers remote work options, a lot of schedule flexibi...
About the Company
Headquartered in Princeton, N.J., Withum provides a long list of services, including accounting, auditing, employee benefit services, pension plans services, tax services, litigation support, business valuation, insolvency services, transaction advisory services, and management consulting. The firm has also expanded to include digital and technology transformation services, cyber and information security services, and outsourced accounting systems and services for clients.
The firm takes its name from Frederick Withum, Leonard Smith, and Ivan Brown, who founded their self-titled company in 1974 in Middlesex County, N.J. The firm’s founders began their careers at larger accounting firms, and when they struck out on their own, their idea was to provide personalized service to companies that were still growing. They also decided that ...
- “I really appreciate the efforts that are made to ensure we are not overworked during busy season. I have heard how employees are treated at other firms during busy season, and I'm so glad to work at a company that doesn't expect or want their staff to run themselves into the ground during tax season.”
- “We are accountants, we (should) know that we signed up for a busy season. While we all agree taking PTO during the busy season is a ‘no,’ the firm urges us to utilize our PTO accordingly in our off-season, and the process is easy. The work/life balance is fair, considering it's the busy season. In the off-season, work/life balance is very easy to maintain.”
- “The 1800 billable hour requirement is the hardest aspect of the firm's overall quality of life, but my team has been more than understanding of many situations that I have come across, such as getting sick, doctors appointment, etc. They make sure that there is a balance between work and life. I am thankful to have a considerate team.”
- “No issues with quality of life. I put in the hours because I want to climb high. No issues with using vacation or taking time off. Staff are encouraged to use their time off so that they don't burnout. Most challenging aspect is the condensed deliverable period that causes night and weekend work. If there was somehow a way to get everything done between normal business hours, we would see a lot more auditing candidates.”
Getting Hired Here
- “The interviewing process is handled very well. Two levels of staff interview candidates and provide feedback on personality, professionalism, cultural fit, experience. The ideal candidate would be someone who would fit the culture, be a team player, responsible, organized, and self-sufficient, and shows a willingness to learn and progress in their career.”
- “I think they had a good interview process. The interviews had a more conversational feel to them than typical interviews. And they want to get a feel for your personality fit in addition to skillset, which I liked, and it wasn't intimidating at all. Yet I know that Withum hires competitively and doesn't let just anyone in the door.”
- “I believe Withum looks for people who are outgoing and curious about the people around them. You should have a good work ethic, and be able to communicate effectively and take ownership of your work and take pride in it.”
- “We have a good team handling recruiting. We want people who love learning and know how to provide excellent client service.”