Arguably the most employee-focused of the Big 3 strategy players, Bain is a name that will open doors for the rest of your career. That’s if you’re interested in leaving, of course: the firm invests a lot of time and energy in training and development, with the goal of growing its future leaders from within. Couple that with a glittering client roster and top-of-the-market compensation, and it’s easy to make a case for staying at Bain for the long term.
Major Departments/Practice Areas
Major Office Locations
Long known as the most employee-centric of the Big 3, Bain’s results in our survey this year come as no surprise. At a time when many corporations are struggling with post-pandemic burnout, Bain insiders note that their firm has shifted seamlessly to a hybrid model—and is seeing morale improvements to boot. Throw in a surge in both capabilities and new business over the past couple of years, and you have a very compelling mix for any would-be consultant to consider.
Of course, one of the great perks of a career at Bain is its ability to set employees on a path to success, both within the firm and beyond. Those industry-renowned training programs and development tracks also appear to have survived and thrived throughout the pandemic, and the exit opportuniti...
About the Company
Bain & Company is a global consultancy that helps the world’s most ambitious change-makers define the future. Across 64 cities in 39 countries, the firm works alongside clients as one team with a shared ambition to achieve extraordinary results, outperform the competition, and redefine industries. Bain & Company complements its tailored, integrated expertise with a vibrant ecosystem of digital innovators to deliver better, faster, and more enduring outcomes. Its 10-year commitment to invest more than $1 billion in pro bono services brings its talent, expertise, and insight to organizations tackling today’s urgent challenges in education, racial equity, social justice, economic development, and the environment. Since the founding of Bain & Company in 1973, it has measured its success by the success of its clients, an...
- “Approach--Bain has always cultivated a ‘results, not reports’ mentality that helps us deliver greater value for clients. Teaming - Bain invests significantly in, and cultivates actively, the ability to team well with clients and internally.”
- “Bainies are a really talented group of individuals who understand that 1) they are more powerful when they team together, and 2) they are here to make their clients the heroes. This attitude sets our firm apart.”
- “Consistency. A lot of consulting firms feel like individual fiefdoms where local Partners have autonomy and create major variances in both client service and employee experience. Bain has a high level of coordination from regional and global firm leadership that helps it create a consistent experience. I have now worked across multiple offices. In each, the expectations for teams, performance and client delivery have been the same. From the client perspective, this means they can expect the same great work regardless of where they are and which Partners / teams serve them. From an employee perspective, this greatly reduces the chance of outlying terrible experiences (e.g., being staffed to a role with insufficient preparation, getting relegated only to terrible work).”
- “How we work with clients is very differentiated, I hear it time and time again from clients. We really collaborate and listen and aim to team with our clients.”
- “The ability to work with some of the smartest--and most humble--people on earth and learn from it every day.”
Why Work Here
At Bain, we work with bold clients who want to define the future, not hide from it. We solve transformative challenges by working alongside our clients as one team with a shared ambition.
Our commitment to diversity, inclusion and collaboration is key to building our extraordinary teams. We hire people with exceptional talents, abilities and potential, then create an environment where you can bring your whole self to work.
We know your priorities can shift as your life changes. At every point, we make sure you have what you need for a long, productive and fulfilling career with us.
We never let one another fail. It’s a simple motto, but one we live by every day.
Getting Hired Here
- “Callback process is very efficient, and we aim to finalize it the same day we finish the interviews. We are looking for candidates that have deep and demonstrable problem-solving skills, that can react to feedback and have a creative way of thinking. There is no need to have a business background.”
- “Definitely recruit with a strong eye towards fit for the culture, and ability to work together and not be competitive with your colleagues.”
- “Looking for really smart people who communicate well and play well in a team environment (collaborative, fun). Once you check those core criteria, we value diversity -- so you end up with a great group of people (quite different from each other, but who share that core set of values).”
- “Seeking a candidate with high intelligence (and ability to develop strong pattern recognition for business situations and problems), highly focused and motivated (given long hours sometimes high degree of intensity), who is also an excellent communicator, likable, and skilled at developing relationships and resolving interpersonal conflict.”