McKinsey consultants work in collaborative teams, have opportunities to make meaningful impact, and engage in challenges to stretch their abilities and further their expertise. McKinsey provides a culture that is distinctive and inclusive, focused on a personalized, flexible, dynamic environment that delivers high-performing and sustainable results. The firm is creating conditions for its colleagues to author their own journey and advance based on individual skills and impact.
Major Departments/Practice Areas
Major Office Locations
Whatever the ups and downs in the global economy, McKinsey—and its position as the most prestigious name in the business—remains a constant. A trusted advisors to leaders the world over, the firm is the first name on most lists when complicated changes and difficult challenges are afoot.
Part of the reason for that stellar reputation is the firm’s commitment to delivering a consistent experience wherever in the world it happens to be operating. Aside from specific cultural differences, a McKinsey consultant could walk into any of the firm’s offices on the planet and feel at home—something that helps clients to also receive consistent levels of assistance, regardless of their location.
Aside from hours—a perennial issue across the industry—...
About the Company
McKinsey & Company is a privately owned management consulting firm committed to accelerating sustainable and inclusive growth. Roundly considered the most prestigious company of its kind, it has achieved a near-universal level of renown by combining transformative technologies and a range of capabilities and working models. The firm’s practice areas address strategic, organizational, operational, and technological issues that challenge its clients.
McKinsey’s work encompasses everything from tech-enabled transformations to climate transition journeys to implementation and change. While it doesn't share the names of its clients, the firm does claim to serve roughly 90 of the top-100 corporations worldwide and more than 80 of the 100 largest U.S.-based companies on their most important challenges in a digital and da...
- “Our culture is unparalleled. I never feel nervous talking to senior leaders. Everyone jumps in to help. If I stay for the long term it will undoubtedly be because of the people I work with.”
- “Global firm with a deep embedded culture of collaboration and development.”
- “Independence, ruthless focus on impact, training and development at all levels, client relationships, privileged opportunity to work with clients on thorniest challenges.”
- “McKinsey is a global partnership--we can work anywhere, meet international friends, and solve global problems like no-one else. Collaboration is expected and incentivized and I've met some of my closest friends and confidantes here.”
- “Unique experience that has changed my professional outlook forever and allowed me to deliver the greatest impact I've ever delivered.”
Getting Hired Here
- “Our interview process is not to test preparation of the candidates but to evaluate how they perform when they are at their best. This translates into active personalized coaching and support for every candidate that is interviewing with the firm. In the spirit of developing each other, every candidate whether hired or not hired is called by one of the interviewers with an offer to also share feedback. Many candidates (both hired and not hired) attest that this makes the process so enriching irrespective of the outcome.”
- “Interview process is shortened to ensure candidates (campus) receive feedback same day.”
- “The interview process generally runs very smoothly and candidates will more often than not receive a call with results the night of their interview. The ideal candidate is a strong problem solver that also has strong people skills, though each track will require a different skillset.”
- “Very responsive and thoughtful in providing feedback. Rapid in response (typically ~1-2 hours after final interview). There is no one ideal candidate--McKinsey actively looks for diversity and strengths in 1-2 areas (not some template that the candidate needs to fit).”
- “Very thorough and well-structured process, with checks and balances. Ideal candidate is able to marry interpersonal, team and leadership skills with critical, conceptual and analytical thinking and problem solving.”